Monday, April 21, 2008

About the Short Dude

Note: A response that I had to write for class to a video that we watched.

I think that I really needed to hear what Nick Vujicic had to say. Often times, I do tend to focus on how bad things are, and not how I can serve God despite the “circumstances” that I have in my life. Nick learned how to persevere despite the horrible handicap of having no limbs. He innovated, and trusted God to make his life worthwhile. Who of us has any right to complain after seeing all of the things that Nick has endured? It pains me to see somebody so helpless, and so challenged by simple tasks such as putting shampoo in your hair. But how often have I complained? How often have I complained about the fact that I am dirt poor and have absolutely nothing to my name, complained about loneliness, complained about lack of direction, complained about difficulties in my own life, complained about not getting to do what I would really want to do at a given point in time, or complained about not getting something that I think I am entitled to?

However, after seeing Nick and how he deals with his myriad physical trials, it makes me just praise God for everything He has given me. I mean, I could not imagine living life without a single arm or leg, and Nick does it without any! I seriously do not think I could handle the loss of both of my legs. If I lost one, depending on where it was amputated at, I could possibly get a prosthetic. But both? I really don’t know what I’d do. I mean, no more skiing, no more biking, no more running, no more physical activity of any major sort PERIOD! I could maybe race wheel chairs or something… but how boring would that be? No, I could way more easily take the loss of my arms. I still couldn’t bike or mountainboard, but I could easily continue to ski and run. Yeah, you really don’t need arms to ski. They’re helpful, but you can do without. But being totally limbless? I just praise God for the fact that I have full use of all my extremities! I really do not think I could cope with the “circumstances” that Nick was placed in. Praise God for what he has given me!

No comments: