Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Randomer returns to its roots... hold on for the ride!

Life is a confusing thing, isn't it? I have myself thoroughly confused at the moment, and I am not sure how to accurately express my confusion/frustration/everything else in words. Words, words. Always words. Words everywhere. Yet words are the way we relate our thoughts and feelings. There are other, more subtle, mediums such as art and instrumental music (not regular music, because that uses words too) but we use words to get what we think and feel across. But if I am confused about what I should be thinking, confused about what I should be feeling, confused about how I should be behaving, confused about how I should be spending my time... it makes it extremely easy to become confused about which words to use to express the confusion.

Here is a deep thought that I've been working through:
It isn't so much how you write, but what you write that makes your writing good. To an extent, being a good manufacturer of sentences is essential, but beyond a certain point you as a writer are just a brilliant wordsmith. Sure, you can use huge words, but who will understand them? Sure, maybe you could weave some subtle undertone/message into the piece that you are writing, but how many people will pick up on it? What I am saying is that you could be the greatest writer in the land, and yet if all you write is a load of dry piddle that has no more depth than an evaporating puddle, is it good writing, and will people want to read it? No! I'm beginning to think that in order to write pieces (for Randomer and otherwise) that are good reading (interesting), in my opinion and in the opinions of others, I have to dispense with some of the dry piddle that I has been ejaculating from my keyboard.

I have moved away from expressing deep thoughts and what I truly think on things, to writing dry piddle that may only have a speck of interest in it, but that I am totally sure won't offend anyone. Part of the problem, I believe, is that since the REdWIRE Vs. Major Cities debacle, I have made sure to write and publish mostly pieces that won't offend and won't cause controversy or consternation among anyone that may happen across my blog. Another part of the problem is that I don't spend a great enough portion of my time pondering over topics such as this one that actually make one think.

I'm not entirely sure if I am making the point that I want to make; evidence of the fact that I am not yet a Master Wordsmith, but just an Apprentice Wordsmith without a Master to correct and educate him. Nevertheless, here is what I am trying to say:
-I will hopefully start writing pieces with more meaning.
-Some of these pieces, because they have more meaning to them, may be controversial, and you may not agree with them.

Well, I've gotten that out of my system! Welcome back to some of the basic mindset that founded Randomer in the first place (and keep your fingers crossed).

(Yes, the basic mindset I speak of is the overuse of parenthesis.)

No comments: