Sunday, June 17, 2007

I power myself, thank you very much

Written: very early this morning.

I had the opportunity to mountain bike at the Human Powered Trails trail system in La Crosse yesterday (it is currently 12:41 a.m. on Sunday, so if the quality of this piece is a little sub-par, that's why), and it really was an experience! To start it off, I had a little bit of trouble finding the place, but I put my excellent navigational skills and my natural charisma (just kidding!) to work, and I was able to find the place without getting excessively lost.

It is now 1:03, and I'm beginning to get tired, and I want to finish this up now, so here's the long and short of it:
Everything was totally soaked, and there were log crossings and man-made stunts everywhere that were super slick from the rain which made them almost impossible. Believe me, I tried, and I biffed more times yesterday than I have the whole last month. The rain also made the trails muddy as all get out, which I don't really have a problem with, except for the fact that it played havoc with my cleats and pedals, since I started getting off my bike every time I came to something that I didn't want to chance due to the wetness. On top of that my camelback was leaking, so I got totally soaked and had to do the whole ride without anything to drink.

All in all, it was a really crummy experience, but the trails looked like they would have been a blast if the conditions had been slightly different. Right before I got in my car to drive away, I turned toward the trailhead, and said simply: "I shall return." A little McArthur for ya, but I really will, sometime before the end of the summer I shall return to Human Powered Trails, and I shall totally shred it!

No comments: