Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Norma Jean: Redeemer

I was just working on some college stuff while listening to Norma Jean’s new album, Redeemer, and the perfection of the sound just hit me over the head! It’s heavy, definetly heavy. But what I really like is that it is heavy and catchy! Maybe it is just me, but it just sounds oh-so-catchy! At spots it is a little poppy compared to their previous work, but not that much at all, and usually it is very tasteful!

This album doesn’t just knock me off my feet with its heaviness. To my ears and my musical tastes at this moment in time, I think it is the perfect hardness/heaviness. Personally speaking here. Not too soft, not too heavy. (Not like there IS a too heavy... it just sounds perfect.)

I would hate to be one of those people who writes album reviews. I am trying to put what exactly makes me love this album into words, and it is really tough.

OK here’s an example of how good it is:
I acquired it shortly after it was released through unscrupulous means, and I liked it so much that I just had to go out and buy it and give my $15 dollars for the beauty-of-sound that it is.

When I said it was poppy before, it really isn’t. It just doesn’t knock you backwards 2 steps like O God, The Aftermath. There are definitely spots that just make you go “phoar,” and plenty of them.

I don’t know how to explain it... I guess you’ll just have to listen to it.

Listen here.

”Redeemer”
Buy it here.

No comments: