Thursday, April 20, 2006

About Randomer

About Randomer

By Gregory Heil

4-20-06

Note: This was written as the intro for the "Randomer "In Print" Volume 1" publication.

You may have just pulled this publication out of your mail box and gone “Hey, this is from Greg Heil! But what the heck is Randomer? I remember when he used to publish the Clark County Gazette, but that was ages ago.” Well let me tell you that all of your questions will be paired with answers in just a short bit.

Now, to get everyone on the same page:
In case you did not know, for quite a few years when I was a kid, I published a “newspaper” of sorts which was basically comprised of my writings and other random stuff. Well, I eventually kinda grew out of that stage, and pretty much stopped writing altogether. I think it happened about the time I started going to public school, which may have been to blame. Yeah let’s blame the rotten public school system, hoorah! (I wonder how many teachers are going to read this. That will be a laugh!) Well my life changed dramatically, a lot for the better, some for the worse, who can tell. But anyhow I arrived in English class last year. That is where the beginnings of the idea of Randomer first started forming in a dark recess in the back of my skull, but it took a while to become something. Basically, Mr. Worachek and his stringent rules/guidelines pissed the living hell out of me. It makes me really mad, really really mad, when someone tells me how and how not to write. But for the moment I was just really pissed off at English class. Then, in American History and Biology, we did this project on the Monkey trials of 1920 something, which was basically a whole evolution deally bob. Anyhow, there were several different roles you could do, and one was journalist. I was like “Hey, I know how to do that, that’ll be easy, I’ll shoot for that.” So I decided to do a special edition of the Clark County Gazette for this school project, and it was mostly rubbish articles about the mock up trial etc. etc. But, there were some articles outlining the past of the CCG, and some of the views that I have expressed earlier in this massive paragraph. Now we are getting really hot, because that was it. I started seriously thinking about writing again. I came up with the actual concept of Randomer, where I right about any random thing. The beauty of the name being that it is not actually a word, showing my flagrant disrespect for English class etc. and any laws that come along with it such as random things that prohibit run on sentences even though they can be so cool to use because they are so absolutely random that no one would even know what had hit them once they got done reading said sentence because it had strayed so far from the original topic that they couldn’t even remember where it started so they will have to go back to the beginning just to remind themselves because I’m going to be mean and not tell them where it started so ha. Another part of the original Randomer concept was to do it online, because about the time I quit writing I took up website design, so I decided to combine the two passions into one.

Let's start a new paragraph, just for the fun of it. That basically brings us up to the start of Randomer. The first news update on the site was May 5th, and I’m aiming this newsletter thingamajobby to be complete just about then. Also turns out that May 5th is El Cinco de Mayo, which is pretty random. How neat. So this is the one year anniversary of Randomer, the Randomer “In Print” issue.

So in case you haven’t caught it yet, what Randomer essentially is, well it’s a website. And it is updated many times a month. The URL is www.randomer.sphosting.com so please go, check it out, and enjoy. But Randomer is not just a website; it's an idea, actually more of an ideal. But I’ll talk about that a bit later.

As for what is actually on the website, you will find:
-Writings by me
-Writings by Ben
-Many pictures by many people
-And even some videos

If you’re interested in contributing, let me know.

A little bit about the contents of this publication:
None of this was written specifically to antagonize anyone. Or maybe it was. I’m never quite sure. Oh well. So if you do end up taking offense to anything written herein, well then it must really suck to be you because you’re one of those people who take offense at every fricking thing someone says to you. But if you feel the need to voice your opinion, I totally am down with that and there is a message board section on the website (http://randomer.sphosting.com) where you can do just that and say whatever you want. See, that’s one of the founding principles/ideas behind Randomer:
We should all have the freedom to express our opinions and beliefs how we want to, and not have to conform to someone else’s rules or standards. So use the message board to write whatever you want, and maybe I’ll publish it if I really like it, who knows.

Post a comment here.

No comments: