Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bat Infestation

My room is currently infested with bats. Our house has always had bats in it, but they usually keep to themselves down in the basement. Every now and then we'll get one in the upstairs, but for the most part, the stay pretty much out of the way. Well, two nights ago I was reading a book, and a bat started flying around my room. So I went for the tennis racket (we have a tennis racket set aside specifically for bat killing) and disposed of it in the garden. No big deal.

But then last night, I woke up at 4:30 in the morning because I was getting cold, and I heard something moving around in the room. At first I thought that it was a mouse in the wall (we have those too), but as I was trying to get back to sleep, I could hear the wings fluttering over my head. I thought to myself in my groggy half-asleep mind "Ungh, bats, I'm not dealing with it right now. I hope it doesn't poop on me." I tried to fall back asleep, but it was actually too noisy to fall back into peaceful oblivion.

So I got out of bed, plugged my lamp in, and lo and behold there was not one but two bats flying around my room! Groggy and half-asleep though I was, I was 2 for 2 swings for bats. I'm actually proud of myself that I managed that at 4:30 in the morning. They had to be disposed of in the garden, so I ended up trudging outside in my mom's borrowed sandals through the wet grass. Oh joy. What a night.

No comments: