Sunday, March 11, 2007

A change of pace

I went running the other day, and today I just purchased some intensely comfortable running shoes and some silky-smooth running shorts. You might be thinking to yourself, "Why would Goo go and do those things? He has NEVER liked running, and now he is doing it for fun? This just does not compute!" Well, I will give you two reasons:
1. I am trying to be more health and fitness conscious (no more soda, more exercise).
2. I'm joining track.

"Holy Crap! Goo isn't living on Dew, and he's going out for a sport!? Wow, that kid is just full of surprises!" It is very uncharacteristic of me. I have never participated in a school sport for more than a day, and I am mentally psyched for a full season of track. Not to mention the fact that I am no longer a caffeine charged machine.

Back to that run the other day. It wasn't too long (half an hour) as I had to be home for dinner. Regardless, I ran for the first 15 minutes without stopping, which was a distance of 1.3 miles. Not speedy by any means, but I actually increased the pace for the 1.3 miles back.

I believe I am doing a poor job of portraying the incredibleness of this: I ran for 15 minutes straight. For someone who runs frequently, that is nothing. I, on the other hand, have only "gone for a run" twice ever in my entire life. That is two times in 18+ years! I feel pretty proud of myself for those 15 minutes.

So yay running, even though I'm not planning on doing much running outside of practice. My current game plan is to do pole vault, shot put, and discus. I may try a running event, but I think I would be better at pretty much everything else (that doesn't involve jumping). So yay track!

No comments: