Sunday, February 11, 2007

Snowmobiling

Written 1/10/07.

Today marks the first time that I have ever driven a snowmobile. It was quite the experience. I have never driven or ridden anything quite like a snowmobile before. It had an odd feeling about it... especially since I didn’t have to use my feet to accelerate. It seemed to take the seriousness and the complicatedness out of it... it felt more like a video game than actually driving something.

As it wasn’t quite like driving... it was more like riding. Like you’re an active participant. It is basically just you and the engine; you provide all the turning power, you have to lean into the turns to keep it from tipping, you have to absorb every little bump that the old machine doesn’t absorb.

We were riding on a lake, and there wasn’t much snow about. Sure it was still a load of fun, but I think doing something like trail riding, hill climb, or powder would be a lot of fun! The couple hours that we spent cruising the lake have just wet my appetite for more! Hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to go again. Shmeges (the person that I went with) said that the next time we go, he’s going to take us up the river. We went a little ways, and that was a little more interesting as you had to pick your way between the boulders that protruded from the ice. No cruising at 60 miles per hour here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I'm glad your horizan has been expanded:) You should go other places than the lake though, fields are more fun:)