Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Goo's Recommended Heavy Christian Bands

Foreword: I was asked to pick a bunch of heavy-ish Christian bands and select my favorite album by them, and possibly compare said band to a secular band. This may be slightly difficult, as my one of the things that makes me select a band to follow/listen to is originality. If a band has an average sound with mediocre lyrics... I'm just like "Eh, no good. Next please!" So most of these have a fairly individual sound. Also, I am including at least one URL so you can go take a listen.

Band: Demon Hunter.
Favorite Album: Self Titled
Sounds like: Prong. Metallica. I've heard they sound a bit like Slipknot?
Genre: Metal.
Misc.: Some of their newer stuff is a bit more melodic at times than their Self Titled release, which I listed as my favorite album of theirs. Their second release, Summer of Darkness, was also excellent. Their latest album, The Triptych, is a bit mellower in spots, but an awesome release nevertheless.
Link: http://www.purevolume.com/demonhunter


Band: War of Ages
Favorite Album: Self Titled
Sounds Like: This may be one of the bands that enjoy that is most comparative to Metallica.
Genre: Heavy Metal
Misc.: As I stated, this may be one of the bands that I enjoy that is most comparative to Metallica. War of Ages is a relatively new band, though, and I believe they just recently released their 2nd full length album, which I have not yet listened to. But it is definitely at the top of my to buy list!
Link: click here

Band: The Showdown
Favorite Album: A Chorus of Obliteration
Sounds Like: War of Ages, only faster and heavier.
Genre: Heavy Metal
Misc.: I love this band! Their second full length work will be releasing in early February.
Link: click here

Band: Project 86
Favorite Album: Drawing Black Lines
Sounds like: Project 86. Hardness level comparative to that of AC/DC. Especially Project's newer stuff.
Genre: Metal.
Misc.: A very solid, very Christian band. One of my favorite bands of all time. The album I listed as my favorite is probably their heaviest, their newer releases have been a tad bit mellower. But the word on the street the next album will knock everyone off their feet, old fans and new alike.
Link: click here

Band: Disciple
Favorite Album: Scars Remain
Sounds like: Disciple, at times, exhibits a sound comparative to classic rock. Comparable to AC/DC.
Genre: Metal
Misc.: Disciple is an amazing band! Unlike some of the bands on this list, I have listed their latest release as my favorite. It was much more aggressive than their last album, and I really enjoy it a lot! But almost every album this band has put out has been stellar. Second to Scars Remain, I would have to choose By God. After that, This Might Sting a Little. One more thing about Disciple, their lyrics have always been extremely God/Christ oriented, one of the heaviest bands in my arsenal to be so blatently Christian, which is a good thing!
Link: click here

Band: Maylene & the Sons of Disaster
Favorite Album: Self Titled
Sounds like: Classic rock, only heavier with a southern twist.
Genre: Metal, southern rock.
Misc.: A new band with only one full length CD and a very original sound. They sound very southern, if you can do that. Sounds very classic rockish at parts.
Link: click here

Band: Blindside
Favorite Album: Self Titled
Sounds like: Pretty traditional hard rock sound.
Genre: Hard rock.
Misc.: An excellent band! The album I listed was their first full length release, but four more albums later their sound is quite different; also, said album would probably sit on the top of my top albums of all time list. I highly recommend this one.
Link: click here

Band: Staple (RIP)
Favorite Album: Self Titled
Genre: Hard rock.
Misc.: I love this band, and the album listed as “Favorite Album” is on my top albums of all time list (if I had one.)
Link: click here

Band: POD
Favorite Album: Satellite
Genre: Hard rock, rap heavy, rock ‘n’ roll.
Misc.: Same story as several of the bands on this list: Old material, excellent! New stuff, bleh. I consider Satellite POD at their prime, and all the stuff before such as Brown, and The Fundamental Elements of South Town are killer also. The new albums Self Titled, and Testify went from, in my opinion, bad to worse. But that may not be yours, as they have gotten more and more popular as time has passed.
Link: click here

Band: Skillet
Favorite Album: Collide
Sounds Like: Good 'ole fashioned hard rock.
Genre: Hard rock.
Misc.: This band keeps getting more and more popular, in both the Christian and secular scenes. And their two latest albums make it obvious why!
Link: click here

Band: He is Legend
Favorite Album: I Am Hollywood
Sounds Like: He is Legend
Genre: Hard rock - heavy metal.
Misc.: He is Legend has a very original sound, and I really enjoy it! Like many of the bands on this list, their latest album was kind of poppy, but still very good!
Link: click here

Band: Showbread
Favorite Album: No, Sir, Nibilism is not Practical
Sounds Like: Showbread
Genre: Metal/Hardcore/Hard Rock
Misc.: There is no way to explain how this band sounds other than by listening to them, their sound is just that original! Again, older=better.
Link: click here

Band: Norma Jean
Favorite Album: Redeemer
Sounds like: Underoath, only heavier
Genre: Hardcore
Misc.: Norma Jean is very popular in secular culture as well as Christian, and many people probably do not realize that Norma Jean is in fact a Christian band with excellent lyrics.
Link: click here

Band: Underoath
Favorite Album: The Changing of Times
Sounds like: Norma Jean, only lighter. Almost every other hardcore band.
Genre: Hardcore
Misc.: If you are up on hard music at all, you've heard of Underoath. They are huge now, and they're Christian. I am not really a big fan, because their new material doesn't have a very original sound, a little lame in my opinion. Thousands if not more other people disagree, so check them out.
Link: click here

Band: Zao
Favorite Album: The Fear Is What Keeps Us Here
Sounds Like: Norma Jean, only heavier. Converge, only deeper.
Genre: Hardcore
Misc.: One of the heaviest bands in my musical arsenal... and one of my personal favorites. Unlike many of the bands on this list, they have remained heavier than all get out from the very beginning!
Link: click here

Band: August Burns Red
Favorite Album: Thrill Seeker
Sounds Like: Zao
Genre: Hardcore
Misc.: Great hardcore! Heavy, heavy music!
Link: click here

Band: Becoming the Archetype
Favorite Album:
Terminate Damnation
Sounds Like: August Burns Red, The Showdown.
Genre: Heavy metal/hardcore.
Misc.: Great, heavy music!
Link: http://www.purevolume.com/becomingthearchetype

Band: Living Sacrifice (RIP)
Favorite Album: In Memoriam
Sounds Like: Zao.
Genre: Hardcore
Misc.: If you are looking for a very heavy band with extremely Christ oriented lyrics, this is it.
Link: click here

Band: Still Remains
Favorite Album: Of Love and Lunacy
Sounds Like: Trivium.
Genre: Heavy metal
Misc.: Good metal, while not quite hardcore. Of Love and Lunacy has a spot on my top albums of all time list.
Link: click here

Band: The Dizmas
Favorite Album: On a Search in America
Sounds Like: Many popular screamo bands today.
Genre: Hard rock/screamo.
Misc.: A pretty new, relatively unheard of band. They are currently working on their 2nd album. Their sound is something I would classify as screamo in most places, but I really like these guys!
Link: click here

Closing Remarks: This list is by no means a complete list, and just because I did not list a band on here does mean I do not like it, I just probably have not discovered them yet. There are so many great Christian bands out there, it takes a while to find all of them especially since there aren't any as big as bands such as AC/DC or Metallica. For more bands, visit website such as christianhardrock.net
Enjoy!

No comments: