Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Do the Dew

Do the Dew


By: Goo
1-25-06

For about the past week my watch has been dead. My battery croaked, and about 5 minutes has elapsed in the past 10 days. So, I decided that tonight would be the night that I would replace my watch battery. I just couldn’t wait any longer... my watch just needed a battery.

“What’s so special about this watch?” my Mom asked more than once. Well let me tell you this is no ordinary watch. This is a limited edition Mountain Dew pocket watch that I got in the Dew U promotion a couple years ago. So this watch is special. I also acquired a sweet chain to go along with it. And, to top it all off, it has a neat flip up cover with a sneaky release button on the side. It is the coolest thing. You know those little things/habits that you just do when you’re bored? One of mine is opening and shutting my pocket watch.

So anyway, I asked Nathan if he wanted to go on the expedition with me. He was game.

We went up to the service counter in Pamida, and I asked the lady if she had a screw driver that I could use to open my watch up and find out what size battery I needed.

“No, I don’t think we have anythingthat small,” was her reply. (Of course those weren’t her exact words, how am I supposed to remember that?) But here’s the kicker: she didn’t even look for one! How’s that for service, I tell ya. I work at a grocery store, and I alwayslook (unless I just got done looking for that item or something.)

The Watch

Well then, obviously I’d ask for the next best thing: a knife. Right after the words came out of my mouth I decided that that was a rather odd question to be asking the store clerk, so it was back out to the van to look for something else that I could use for my purposes. Unfortunately, we came up dry.

I spotted Scott and Jamie going out to their cars, so I hailed them and asked them if they had anything that could be of use. No luck there.

Then it occurred to me to go look for a tiny screw driver in the hardware section. With Kevin’s (a person who works there) (I’m 60% sure that’s his name) help we located what I wanted. It was pretty nifty: a little plastic case with about 6 various little screwdrivers... could be very useful in the future.

After I purchased that, Nathan and I went out into the entrance way to disassemble my watch. Oddly enough, the flattest surface to work on was a stack of Miller Light.

There were people coming and going and Nathan kinda giggled. I was like “What’s so funny?”

“We must look pretty funny right now!” he responded. I realized that he was right; it did look pretty odd. Eventually we managed to extricate the battery, and with Kevin’s help (again), I managed to find a viable replacement.

Watch reassembled, time adjusted, and at the moment it is still working. And, I got several edbd (ask Mr. Volkman(hint: sound it out)) screw drivers out of the deal!

Post a comment here.

No comments: